1.10.2010

Granola

.

Some Time ago we found out that we were not eating the right way. I think I have mentioned about our triglycerides problem. Since then we have changed our diet. One of the things we have gotten rid of, is the boxed cereal for breakfast. Now when I go grocery shopping instead of coming home with a box of cereal I come with a old fashioned oats container to make granola, the kids love it!



Granola
4 cups rolled oats, wheat, or barley (any combination, I use the oats above)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds sesame seeds (I use sunflower seeds)
1/2 cup honey, maple syrup, or a thick syrup made with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 2-3 tablespoons water (I use the sugar and water)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla and/or other extract
3/4 cup raisins or other dried fruit (optional)
1/2 cup walnuts(optional, I used pecans)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
1. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together except for the dried fruit. Set the dried fruit aside.
2. In another bowl mix the sweetener, oil, and extract together.
3. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. The liquids will be absorbed and the granola will become darker and shinier.
4. Spread the granola in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 325 degrees for ten minutes. Use a spatula and turn the granola on the baking sheet. Place the granola back in the oven and bake for another ten minutes or until fairly dry and starting to brown. Remove the granola from the oven and stir in the fruit. Right after taking it out of the oven it will be a little moist, it will become crispier and crunchier as it cools. Also because of the oil, granola will not stay fresh long. It needs to be store in an airtight container and use within two weeks or freeze it for longer storage. Making granola for breakfast or snacks has now been part of my weekly chores. I make 2 batches per week.

No comments:

Post a Comment